Smøla, the kingdom of islands From time immemorial Smøla was the seat for the cheifs on Nordmøre. Here they (the Norse chiefs) could keep an eye on the approaches to Nidaros (Trondheim). In the 1200's there was built a stone-church on Edøy and most of Smøla became church-land (Catholic). In 1537 the Catholicism ended. The Danish king ruled and Smøla became crown-land. In 1677 the Danish king sold his crown-land to Lorentz Angell in Nidaros. After that there were several owners. In 1916 the Smøla-land was sold by Nicolai Volckmar in Kristiansund to the Norwegain communities for 220.000 kroner.
The Kuli-stone On Langteigen on Kuløy stood an old Scadinavian stone monument with Runic inscription until the 1830's. Then it was divided in two parts, because it stood on the border between two land properties. Each of the two farmers took his half of the stone. One part is probably in some stone-wall today. On Edøy we find the other part of the stone monument, known as the Kuli-stone (the copy), erected in memory of Ulv who is mentioned in the Runes. Some of the inscription: "twelve winters had Christianity been in Noreg" points to the Christianity resolution law by Olav Tryggvasson (viking King) in 996 or 997. The Scadinavian stone monument is therefore from 1008 or 1009. The original is at the Vitenskapmuseum in Trondheim. The Runic inscription goes like this: " Tore og Hallvard erected this stone (in memory of Ulv). Twelve winters had Christianity been in Norway ". This Ulv must have been Ulv Raude, mentioned many times in the history book "Snorre". He participated in the battle of Svolder in 1000. Here he was "stem crew" on the Ormen Lange (the Kings ship).
On 'Seiskjæret' close to Skalmen lighthouse the English sailing vessel "Lexington" capsized in 1709. The crew were saved and stayed some time on Brattværet. After some weeks they got ships fare home to England. The year after an altar-piece came from the crew in England to the church on Brattvær. Inscription: "Til Guds Ære og Kirkens Zirat gekoft og foræret af det her inddrevne Skibsvrak ... Lexington 1709". The altar-piece was later moved to Skarpnes. In 1913 this church burnt down and the altar-piece could not be saved.
One winter morning in 1896 the English steam vessel "Coquet" capsized on 'Smeksbåen' close to Skalmen lighthouse. The vessel was loaded with planks, stocks and huge oak and elm timber. A saw-mill was built on Brattvær and they had work for more than two years. A house was built from this timber on Dyrnes, they say...
Registered shipwrecks: Gjevik on Smøla ("FLORA"). Flint stone find outside the mole on Veidholmen. Valøyodden on Smøla (Spanish schooner "ALFREDO" from 1865). The wreck of "LEXINGTON" (English), at Ytre Rebboen on Smøla.
"Stella" went down westside of Lyngvær southwest of Smøla on November 5th 1920 under a journey from Newport News in USA to Gothenburg with a cargo of coal. Onboard the vessel is a crew of twenty two men. The vessel takes damage on the rudder at the Norwegian coastline under a storm, and the skipper therefore decides to seek shelter i the closest harbor. On November 4th they are outside Grip lighthouse, and the pilot comes on board to bring the vessel in to Kristiansund. But again the weather gets bad, and on the afternoon on November 4th 1920 "Stella" smashes in, with a speed of 6 knots on the reefs at Lyngvær. "Stella" is stuck on the reefs all night through, and on the morning on November 5th the vessel starts to sink. The crew gets away from the sinking ship, and shortly afterwards they are picked up by the salvage vessel "Parat". "Stella" sank on a depth of 5-13 meters, and after the accident most of the cargo and some inventory is salvaged. Today the wreck of "Stella" rest on a depth of 5-13 meters with the stern section and the midship totally broken down. The bow section and lots of other remains can still be seen of this big sailboat
Lights Hauggjegla light is a 1.orders coastal light built in 1919, re-built in 1922. Red iron tower with a white belt. Situated North of Smøla. White, red and green light. Light width 15,0 nm. It is 26 meters high.
Lighthouse for rent:
Hauggjegla lighthouse. You stay in the lighthouse, and have livingroom, kitchen, diningroom, bath, shower and bed for 8 - 10 persons. Boat included.
Skalmen light is a 4.orders coastal light built in 1907. Re-built in 1962. Situated NV of Smøla. Light width 14,8 nm. White blinks. Manned (2001). Height is 21 meters. Automatized (un-manned) from summer in 2002.
Tyrhaug light is a 2.orders coastal light NE of Edøy built in 1833. White, red and green light. Light width 13,4 nm. Un-manned.